Monday, July 16, 2012

Misinformation

Wuthering Heights

In the name of all that is good and holy and considered a classic: I about spit my morning cup of coffee all over my computer screen when I saw this. Poor little Emily Bronte probably never even saw a bare shoulder in her whole life. Homegirl was shel.tered. And if you have read this book, possibly a bit unhinged.

Now, don't  get me wrong-- Heathcliff IS a sexy brooding type (if you enjoy fantasizing about tyrannical men with the emotional range of a toddler who may or may not be related to you) and Catherine IS supposed to be a beautiful temptress type... and the two DO fall in love and I guess in some way it's very steamy for about half a page before everything goes to pot and Catherine wills herself to die. So. There's that.

But don't you dare write out 'Wuthering Heights' in the same font you use for romance novels and books about 30 something singles living in Manhattan and make this book look like it belongs next to Fifty Shades of Grey. I haven't been this upset since they made The Scarlet Letter into a movie with the tag line 'Incredibly Sensual'. They might as well have cast Britney Spears as Hester Prynne and the boa constrictor from her pre-kid days as Pearl. I understand trying to get the classics to appeal to younger generations, but come on. I know it's a Justin Beiber world and we just live in it, but let's at the very least give thirteen year olds some kind of credit. In middle school I had a poster of Justin Timberlake on my wall and Jane Eyre on my bedside table.

You're on my list, book illustrators.

No comments:

Post a Comment